Set in the picturesque woodlands of West Sussex on a gloriously bright Saturday afternoon, the ECA team took on Tough Mudder London South, a 10.2 mile mud run filled with obstacles designed to challenge and push those who dare to try! Ice water, heights, tight spaces, electricity – you name it, we beat it!
Starting with just 1 person who wanted to take on the challenge, the team slowly grew to 13, with representation from every department here at ECA. Not only that, but by the time we arrived at the event, we had a team made up of rugby players, triathletes, marathon runners and even a fitness model! With camaraderie and team work, we took on the course and crossed the finish line together in a very respectable 3 and a half hours! Whilst we’re battered and bruised, we finally have our orange Tough Mudder headbands, with one of us inheriting his green headband for completing his 2nd (crazy, we know)!
A couple of our “favourite” obstacles included:
- Arctic Enema – A highway to brain freeze in all the wrong places. Our favourite icy plunge has been updated to include a high speed entry slide and center wall you must duck under to escape the 10 tonnes of ice we jam into this frigid skip dive.
- The Block Ness Monster – The Block Ness Monster is an epic and tricky as Nessie herself. Mudders have to push, pull, and roll their way through 60ft of slick, rotating barriers. With a little help from your friends, you can rock and roll your way through Tough Mudder’s newest obstacle taking teamwork to a whole new level.
- King of the Swingers – Remember that rope swing you built as a kid? Ours is bigger. Leap from a 12′ platform to catch a swing arm and reach with all your might to tap the bell dangling from above. Many will attempt – few will make that sweet bell-ringing music.
- Everest 2.0 – This will be the fastest you’ll ever summit this mighty mountain, but the fall is just as quick. This slick quarter pipe is over 15’ tall, with a recurved top to make it extra hard to get that handhold. You can aim for the top, but there’s no promise you won’t end up at the bottom.
- Electroshock Therapy – The last thing standing between you and that cold finisher’s pint is just a short, muddy sprint. It couldn’t be that bad, right? Ask your Legionnaire friends. This field of dangling wires delivers a punch at 10,000 volts. It’s our way of saying congratulations.
It wouldn’t have been a challenge without something to aim for, and for ECA, that motivation came from the Alzheimer’s Society. The fight against dementia sits very close to our hearts at ECA and we were immensely proud to take on the course in support of their incredible work. With donations and support from around the world, we managed to more than double our £1,500 target, with a current total of £3,070.58! With this money, the Alzheimer’s Society can:
- Pay for more than 600 half-hour sessions at monthly Dementia Cafes, where people can find information and support for people with dementia and their carers.
- Provide more than 15,000 copies of “Understand And Respecting The Person With Dementia” – one of the Society’s most requested fact sheets.
- Fund the National Dementia Helpline for more than 60 hours, where they offer practical advise and support to those living with dementia, their carers, their family and friends.
- Run Talking Point for 25 days – the Society’s 24/7 online community for all people affected by dementia.
Whether you sponsored our Tough Mudder team, sent messages and support on social media or cheered us on from the finish line, we would like to a huge thank you from all the ECA team!