Fit infrastructure to the job with modular server, storage and networking blocks that neatly combine in the FX2 converged 2U rack chassis.
Tailor your data center to your workloads
Redefine data center agility with the revolutionary FX architecture. The FX2 converged 2U rack chassis allows you to incrementally add or swap compact, modular IT building blocks, including servers, storage and IO, to fit any computing environment.
- More choice, less complexity: Simplify building and managing data centers and private clouds by bringing advanced management technologies to converged infrastructure.
- Right size your IT: Easily and rapidly scale the resources your workloads and business require.
- Fit the infrastructure to the job: Tailor infrastructure precisely, with the right power, storage and connectivity to meet specific workload needs.
Chassis flexibility boosts efficiency
The shared cooling, power, networking, management and PCIe expansion slots in the FX2 chassis service a wide range of server/storage combinations, enabling higher granularity and greater efficiency in your IT resource management.
The flexible multi-fabric IO design allows FX servers to efficiently handle all types of storage traffic — SAN, DAS and NAS — with a design optimized for the DAS/vSAN storage environments. The FX2 chassis also features a distinctive Dell PCIe fabric that can free you from proprietary limitations and enable you to accelerate performance.
Choose your management
Manage FX servers individually as you would with traditional rack servers to integrate easily into your server management methodology, or choose managing FX servers collectively using Dell Chassis Management Controller (CMC) to manage both servers and chassis components. View and manage up to 20 separate FX systems from a single CMC console for simplified collective management, using either the comprehensive Enterprise or entry-level Express CMC license options.
Simplify provisioning and management
The FX architecture helps businesses grow more efficiently by simplifying data center provisioning and management. It gives IT managers a practical way to meet challenging business trends and respond to unpredictable workloads.
- Granular modularity provides IT resources in easily consumable “bite-sized” chunks, delivering greater flexibility to address workload needs and allowing you to budget just for the resources needed, as needed.
- Innovative connectivity introduces incredible fabric flexibility for IO, storage and management, with IO aggregation that consolidates connectivity by as much as 8 to 1, greatly reducing hidden networking costs.
- A complete portfolio addresses the full spectrum of enterprise computing, combining server offerings from microservers to 4-socket platforms with a high-density storage component to provide broad workload flexibility.
Provision for virtually any workload
Implement an unprecedented level of IT infrastructure density, allowing more services using fewer resources, resulting in overall lower costs and better workload performance to:
- Provide highly available web services or dedicated hosting that need dense processing resources and discrete physical domains.
- Drive business-critical applications, from business analytics to demanding high-performance computing (HPC), online transaction processing (OLTP), online analytical processing (OLAP) and anything-as-a-service (XaaS).
- Run private clouds, databases and virtualization environments that require high-performance storage and server processing.
|Product Type||PowerEdge FX2|
|Slots||There are two versions of the FX2 chassis — the “switched” configuration, PowerEdge FX2s, supports up to 8 low-profile PCIe 3.0 expansion slots, and the “unswitched” FX2 configuration, a lower-cost alternative that does not offer expansion slots.|
|Communications||2 pass-through module or choice of 3 FN I/O Modules|
|Dell PowerEdge FN410s 4-ports SFP+ provides 4 ports of SFP+ 10GbE connectivity. Supports optical and DAC cable media.|
|Dell PowerEdge FN410t 4-port 10Gb Base-T provides 4 ports of 10GBASE-T connectivity. Supports cost effective copper media up to 100 meters.|
|Dell PowerEdge FN2210s 4-port Combination Fibre Channel/Ethernet delivers up to 2 ports of 2/4/8Gbps Fibre Channel bandwidth (NPG mode and full fabric services and 2 ports of SFP+10GbE.) Also delivers up to 4 ports SFP+ 10GbE (with reboot).|
|Power||Hot-plug PSUs: 2000W, 1600W or 1100W AC in 1+1 redundant or 2+0 non-redundant configurations|
|2U chassis in height|
|H: 8.68 cm (3.41 in)|
|W: 43.35 cm (17.06 in) without rack ears; 48.19 cm (18.97 in) with rack ears|
|D: 85.16 cm (33.52 in)|
|Server note options:|
|PowerEdge FC830: Full-width: up to 2 FC830 per FX2 chassis|
|PowerEdge FC630: Half-width: up to 4 FC630 per FX2 chassis|
|PowerEdge FC430: Quarter-width: up to 8 FC430 per FX2 chassis|
|PowerEdge FM120x4: Half-width: up to 4 FM120 per FX2 chassis|
|PowerEdge FD332 storage block: Half-width: up to 3 FD332 per FX2 chassis for support of up to 16 x SFF 2.5" storage devices|
|Management||Delivers comprehensive functionality yet simple and easy to use:|
|Uses Chassis Management Controller to manage all resources (server nodes, storage, networking and power) with a unified management tool, presented in a single console|
|Offers both local and remote management|
|Available with either Enterprise or Express CMC licensing|
|Server nodes each contain proven iDRAC8 with Lifecycle Controller for agent-free systems management, fully supported in the OpenManage product portfolio|