PowerVault MD1220 DAS
High-performance, energy-efficient direct-attached storage (DAS)
Customers seeking a direct-attached energy-efficient storage array that provides the performance to satisfy demanding applications.
PowerVault MD1220 is a direct-attached, energy-efficient storage expansion enclosure that provides the performance to satisfy demanding applications.
Expansion for Performance-Intensive, Single-Server Applications
PowerVault MD1220 direct-attached storage (DAS) enclosure is the second generation of Dell’s energy-efficient, small-form-factor (SFF), 2.5-inch drive expansion enclosure. The PowerVault MD1220 offers seamless expansion for Dell PowerEdge servers and various Dell Storage arrays, providing IOPs needed to satisfy performance-intensive application. This expansion array can support 24, 2.5-inch SAS hard-disk drives (HDDs) or solid-state drives (SSDs)2 in a 2U array and expands up to 8 arrays per adapter, so you don’t have to trade capacity for performance.
- Optimizing Performance, Enhancing Security While doubling the Throughput: The PowerVault MD1220 leverages SAS 2.0 technology, which enables double the throughput over previous generation, with a 6Gb/s SAS interface and offers performance optimization with automatic I/O load balancing across redundant paths and enhanced security, over previous generation with new self-encrypting drive (SED) support.
- Improved efficiency: The PowerVault MD1220 improves energy efficiency over previous generation, with new 80PLUS® Silver Certified power supplies. This enhancement augments the efficiencies already gained with 2.5-inch drives and variable speed fans.
Satisfying Even the Most Performance-Hungry Applications
The PowerVault MD1220 direct-attached storage array offers compelling performance.
- 6Gb/s SAS: With improved throughput from the last-generation, the PowerVault MD1220 can satisfy even the most performance-intensive applications, such as Web hosting, database and e-mail.
- Solid State Drives: Pair the increased IOPs and throughput of 6Gb/s SAS with support for solid state drives (SSD), an ideal solution for applications that rely on random block access.
- Automatic I/O Load Balancing: Further optimizing the performance of the PowerVault MD1220, the PERC H810 Host-RAID adapter has automatic I/O balancing between the server and storage array. The PERC H810 can detect when a single path starts to get saturated and then balance the I/O traffic across both paths.
- The PowerVault MD1220 can deliver the speed, performance and reliability to satisfy performance intensive single server applications that store active and frequently changing information.
Your Energy-Conscious Storage
The PowerVault MD1220 is a small-form-factor (SFF) expansion enclosure that helps manage power, heat and space consumption in your data center. In fact, 2.5-inch disks consume less power and 70% less space than 3.5″ drives, and supports Fresh Air cooling (up to 35º Celsius).
Additionally, the MD1220 power supplies are 80PLUS® Silver Certified, and, with variable-speed, temperature-controlled fans, are designed to deliver optimal performance and energy efficiency
Keeping Your Data Safe
Access and accuracy of your data are key to the success of any business. The PowerVault MD1220 has been engineered to help maximize your uptime and the security of your data.
- Redundant Path with I/O Load Balancing: You can rest assured that your data will be available when you need it. Even if a single cable path fails from one port of the PERC H810, you will continue to have access to your data through the second port.
- Self-Encrypting Drives (SED): Self-encrypting drives help to ensure that your data is secure with drive-level encryption, so, even if a drive is removed from its storage system or the server it in which it is housed, the data on the drive is encrypted and rendered useless to anyone who attempts to access it without the appropriate security authorization. Additionally, SED supports instant secure erase of drives, which permanently removes data when repurposing or decommissioning drives.
- Hot-Swappable Drives: With hot-swappable drives, you can remove and replace drives even when your system is operating. No need to shut down, and no need to reboot: New drives are available right away.
Leveraging the PERC H810 RAID Controller
The PowerVault™ MD1220 leverages the latest PCI Express 2.0 interface, offering excellent performance for enterprise. The configuration of the PERC H810 Host-RAID adapter helps to increase reliability and fault tolerance by enabling the software to recognize the entire array as a single unit, regardless of how many disks are activated for storage in the array. With the PERC H810, customers can choose the RAID option that supports their application. The PERC H810 supports RAID levels 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50 and 60.
Dell™ PowerVault MD1220 storage array is engineered to work optimally with Dell PowerEdge™ servers. Dell OpenManage™ Storage Manager Software can manage both the external array and internal storage within the server itself. See PERC H810 server compatibility matrix for a list of currently supported servers.
Streamlining storage management through a single, common interface helps reduce resource load on the system, and is easier to navigate for the user as well. The PowerVault MD1220 utilizes the same 2.5-inch drives as PowerEdge servers, and the same power supplies and fans as the PowerVault MD1200, helping to reduce the number of spares required.
|Product Type||PowerVault MD1220|
|RAID||PERC H800 supports RAID levels 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50 and 60|
|See PERC H800 server compatability matrix for a list of currently supported servers|
|Up to twenty-four (24) 2.5-inch hot-pluggable SAS Hard Disk Drives (HDDs) at 7.2K, 10K, 15K rpm and SAS Solid State Drives (SSDs).|
|Drive performances and capacities|
|2.5” 6Gbps SAS:|
|HDD 15K – 146GB, 300GB, 600GB|
|HDD 10K – 300GB, 600GB, 900GB, 1.2GB|
|HDD 10K 512e – 1.8TB|
|HDD 7.2K – 500GB, 1TB|
|SSD – 200GB, 800GB value SLC|
|SSD – 400GB mainstream SLC|
|SSD – 800GB RI MLC|
|SSD – 200GB, 400GB WI SLC|
|SSD – 2TB eMLC|
|2.5” 12Gbps SAS|
|HDD 15K – 600GB|
|HDD 7.2K NL-SAS 512e – 2TB|
|SSD – 200GB, 400GB, 800GB 1.6TB MU MLC|
|SSD – 200GB, 400GB, 800GB WI MLC|
|SSD – 800GB, 1.6TB RI MLC|
|Maximum Capacity (per enclosure)|
|Up to 48TB when using 24 x 2TB NL-SAS 2.5" HDDs|
|PERC H810 enables expansion to 8 enclosures, 4 per port|
|Connectivity||Support for the following configurations:|
|Unified mode (single path) for daisy chaining of up to 8 enclosures per PERC H810 (4 enclosures per port, single path)|
|Unified mode (redundant path) for daisy chaining up to 4 enclosures per PERC H810 (4 enclosures connected to both ports via redundant path cabling)|
|Split mode with dual Enclosure Management Modules providing direct connectivity to drives 0 through 11 and a separate connectivity to drives 12 through 23.|
|Management||Enclosure Management Modules (EMM)|
|2 EMM modules provide redundant enclosure management capability|
|Back-Panel Connectors||SAS connectors (per EMM)|
|1 SAS (SFF 8088) "IN" connector for connection to the host|
|1 SAS (SFF 8088) "OUT" connector for expansion to an additional enclosure|
|Serial connector (per EMM)|
|1 6-pin UART mini-DIN connector (for factory use only)|
|LED Indicators||Front panel|
|1 two-color LED indicator for system status|
|2 single-color LED indicators for power and split mode|
|1 single-color activity LED|
|1 two-color LED status indicator per drive|
|3 two-color LED status indicators: one for each of the EMM SAS ports and one for the EMM status|
|1 single-color Unit Identification LED for each EMM|
|Power supply/cooling fan module|
|3 LED status indicators for Power supply/cooling fan fault, AC power, and DC power|
|Power||Two fully redundant power supplies; supports DC power|
|Wattage: AC - 600 W; DC - 700 W|
|Heat dissipation: AC - 2047 BTU/hr; DC - 2388 BTU/hr|
|Voltage: 100-240VAC; 48V DC|
|Amperage: 8.6 A at 100 V, 4.3 A at 240 V|
|Available Hard Drive Power (per slot)|
|Supported drive power consumption (continuous):|
|up to 1.2 A at +5V|
|up to 0.5 A +12V|
|8.7cm (3.43 inches)|
|48.2cm (18.98 inches)|
|54.1 (21.30 inches)|
|23.31 kg (51 lb) (maximum configuration)|
|8.61 kg (19 lb) (empty)|
|Environmental Operating Conditions||Temperature|
|Operating: 10° to 35°C (50° to 95°F) with maximum temp gradation of 10°C per hour|
|Storage: -40° to 65°C (-40° to 149°F) with temp gradation of 20°C per hour|
|Supports Fresh Air cooling, up to 35 degrees Celsius|
|Operating: 8% to 85% (non-condensing) with maximum humidity gradation of 10% per hour|
|Storage: 5% to 95% (non-condensing)|
|Operating: -16 to 3048 m (-50 to 10,000 ft)|
|Storage: -16 to 10,600 m (-50 to 35,000 ft)|
|Operating System||Refer to the PERC RAID Card details for supported Operating Systems|