PowerVault MD3060e Dense Enclosure
Make server expansions affordable
Optimize your server space, and help cut power and cooling expenses with up to 240 HDDS (four MD3060e enclosures) per server in just 16U of space.
Affordable density for Dell servers
When it comes to expanding DAS in your server deployment, there are several important questions to consider:
- How much space do you need?
- How quickly you can add more storage?
- How can you add capacity while keeping power and cooling costs under control?
Your answer is the Dell PowerVault MD3060e dense enclosure, or JBOD (just a bunch of disks). The high-density storage solution in a compact 4U chassis enables quick expansion for PowerEdge R630, R730 and the R730xd servers while saving space, power and cooling expenses. The versatile design allows you to:
- Mix and match up to 60 HDDs and SSDs in one chassis
- Scale to 240 HDDs (with four MD3060e enclosure) per server
- Maximize capacity to almost 2PB per R630 or R730 server
- Store over 1.9PB of data in less than one-half of a standard rack
Reliable, versatile performance
The MD3060e offers a high-density option in the PowerVault MD series of JBODs, which have an established record of reliability and efficient performance. Easily manage your data through the host server, with OS support that includes:
- Microsoft® Windows Server® 2012, Storage Spaces
- Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® – RHEL
- Novell® SUSE® Linux Enterprise
If you choose to manage your server through Windows Server 2012, Storage Spaces is integrated within the MD3060e. Storage Spaces is simple and easy to use, regardless of the user’s level of familiarity with storage systems.
Capacity based on your design
Easily scale with versatile enclosure options, drive types and operating system choices, and have the flexibility to design solutions for your specific needs. The MD3060e is a modular platform that allows you to add or reconfigure enclosures, as your workloads require.
- Mix and match SAS, NL-SAS HDDs or SSDs to optimize performance or capacity.
- Hot-swap drives, fans, enclosure management modules (EMMs) and power supplies for quick modifications and maintenance.
With small-scale-to-hyperscale flexibility, the MD3060e dense enclosure is an ideal solution for:
- Hosting companies that need affordable and dense storage
- Work groups within a large IT organization, such as an R&D department
- Universities or government agencies with high performance computing (HPC) deployments that require high-density storage
- High-bandwidth or modular infrastructures, such as manufacturing, oil and gas, and video surveillance
- Financial institutions that need to process volumes of data without increasing their data center footprint